Registrations for NZ Fringe 2022 are now closed.
However! Please email email@example.com if you'd like to be involved. There will be opportunities to still have your event in the programme.
The 2022 Fringe Festival will be from 18 February — 12 March, 2022.
CURRENT FESTIVAL ARTISTS
You can access the Online Info Hub here.
What is Fringe?
NZ Fringe is an open access, artists-first festival, that means we don't programme any shows. Once you register and pay your registration fee you're in. It's that easy.
Why indeed. Think of Fringe as the portal for you to find your audience, and audiences to find and experience your art. We market the festival all over town with poster campaigns, bus backs, radio interviews, media coverage & more. We distribute thousands of copies of our printed programme far and wide. NZ Fringe run the ticketing on your behalf online and at our NZ Fringe Box Office. We host free forums/info sessions with industry professionals about all things Fringe life. We organise for judges, promoters and producers to come and see your work. All shows in NZ Fringe are self produced which means you'll put in some grunt work too, but we at Fringe HQ are all experienced in all things Fringe so ask us all the questions - use us to your advantage.
What do I need to register?
- An event - or even just the beginnings of a kick-ass, radical idea.
- A confirmed venue - talk to us if you need help finding one.
- Dates and times - when is your event going to happen?
- Ticket prices - how much is up to you, but remember to factor inside fees into your prices.
- A blurb to describe your event (or idea!) - it’s good to keep it snappy, tantalising and accessible for people to understand at a glance.
- An image for publicity and marketing - most publications won’t use images with text in them, have a browse over previous fringe programmes to see which ones stand out. (We’ve got a bunch in the NZ Fringe office. Come visit us (when it's safe to do so), have a flick through, talk through your idea with us, remember we’re here to help you!)
What kind of event can I put on?
Honestly, anything. Theatre, Visual Art, Comedy, Music, Circus, Dance, synchronised swimming...anything! (As long as it's legal.)
The Fringe world is your own personal oyster, get munching and we're sure those omega threes will be sure to get your brain juices flowing. NZ Fringe is the space to take a risk, be a punk, get unfiltered and be the rebellious artist you dream of setting free.
How much does it cost?
Fringe registration is tiered for different revenue possibilities:
- $25 : Free events eg exhibition or installation + $50 bond ($75)
- $75 : Online/streamed only events (Koha or ticketed), One off ticketed event + $50 bond ($125)
- $150 : Unticketed koha event, pay at the door + $50 bond ($200)
- $225 : Event ticketed under $10 and koha events requiring pre-booking + $50 bond ($275)
- $325 : Ticketed $10.01 and over + $50 bond ($375)
All registrations pay a $50 bond that is refunded once artist reports are submitted after the festival
Inside ticketing fees (Which cover the use of Fringe's online ticketing system) are $2.50 per ticket over $10.01 and $1.50 per ticket $10 and under.
If you aren't able to pay your registration fee straight away, we can have a chat about alternate options. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to talk it through.
How do I know which venue is right for me?
You might not, and that's cool. That's what we're here for! Do you want a regular black box theatre space? We know who to talk to. Do you need white walls and pillars? Well we can point you in the right direction. Some venues are programmed by application and some are first come first served. As always if you need a guiding light, our team are here to help email@example.com.
Can I BYO venue?
You sure can! That's the magic of Fringe. We just need some key information like the name of the venue and the address.
Are there funding opportunities for my event?
There are a few options out there for funding. NZ Fringe will offer Kākano artist support funding again for the 2022 festival and we will let everyone know if this will be available.
Other options can include:
- Crowd funding campaigns e.g. Boosted, Pledge Me
- Busking or fundraising nights
- CreativeNZ Grants
- WCC Grants
- Gaming trust charities
- And more...
It's worth having a think about the fact that the pool of money for arts funding is getting smaller, while the number of amazing projects needing funding are growing. Do your research, check whether you're eligible before applying, make sure you have all the materials required to apply. If in doubt, come and chat to us, we've been through it all and know the ins and outs of funding applications.
Will you give me a letter of support for applications?
Probably! Just ask. Our Festival Director can give you letters of support or confirmation of participation.
I’m having trouble with my budget, can you help?
Sure! Contact the team, we’re happy to go through your production budget to help keep you on track.
When you register your event for a Fringe season, you'll have access to a swathe of helpful resource materials to help make your event happen. We're working on those for 2022 as we speak!